Cabrini has a limited number of work experience placements for Year 10 students from March-November each year. Work experience gives Year 10 students time at Cabrini to learn about an occupation or industry by observing others or completing tasks under supervision. It is an opportunity for secondary students to develop skills and networks and to decide what they would like to do in the future. It's an opportunity for Cabrini to showcase the many and varied occupations there are in health and potentially attract future staff. Students are placed with Cabrini primarily to observe and learn – not to undertake activities which require extensive training or expertise. Not all areas allow or have the resources to accommodate work experience students.
Benefits of work experience
- Work experience can provide:
- insights into what a job involves
- structured, supervised, hands-on experience
- useful work skills that are recognised in the workplace
- confidence in the ability to learn and become competent at new tasks
- work/life skills such as communicating effectively or working in teams
- a chance to demonstrate how the student can contribute in a work environment
- an understanding of the working world
- an opportunity to demonstrate commitment and reliability
Work experience plays a vital part of the student’s time at school. It allows them to 'test the waters' and experience what it is like to be working '9 to 5' instead of just school hours.
Conditions of acceptance of the work experience program at Cabrini
In order for a student to be considered for Cabrini’s Work Experience Program:
- The student must be in Year 10 and 15 or 16 years of age (we do not accept Year 11 or 12 or university students)
- The student's educational institution must provide indemnity cover for the duration of the placement via the appropriate Victorian government form
- The work experience student will be paid at $5.00 per day
- An application for placement must be made by email or post to the Cabrini Work Experience Co-ordinator in December or January
- The department must be willing and able to accommodate the placement.
Please contact the Work Experience Coordinator for all placements. Please do not contact individual managers
Formal requests for work experience placements
ALL work experience applications from Year 10 students must be received by Carol Charles, Work Experience Coordinator, in Human Resources in December/January for a placement in the next year (e.g. put in an application via email in Dec 2013 or Jan 2014 for the 2014 school year). Placements for the entire year fill up quickly.
ALL PLACEMENTS FOR THE 2013 PROGRAM AT CABRINI ARE NOW FULL - NO MORE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME
The completed application should be sent to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Post: Carol Charles, Work Experience Co-ordinator, Human Resources, Cabrini, 183 Wattletree Road, Malvern 3144
You will be notified in February if you will be offered a placement or whether the area(s) of preference are full. The Work Experience Coordinator can be reached by telephone on (03) 9508 1472 during business hours only.
- Only one student per department in any one week
- No back-to-back placements in one department – if a department has a student one week, they will not take a student placement the next week
- Students must be flexible with their placement dates
SHADOWING A DOCTOR – Cabrini receives many requests from students or their parents asking for the student to shadow a doctor for a day but we are unable to accommodate these requests. No students are permitted to attend theatre areas, the Emergency Department or accompany a doctor on ward rounds at any time.
CONSULTANTS - Work experience students who wish to have a placement with a private consultant with an office at Cabrini should speak directly with the consultant’s office as Cabrini is not responsible for placing students with them.
CODE OF DRESS – Students are required to dress neatly with sensible shoes. No shorts, thongs, short dresses, bare midriffs or jeans – we are a hospital and students should be dressed appropriately.
PAYMENT - Cabrini pays the students $5.00 per day which is paid in cash on their last placement day if working on the Malvern campus. If they have a placement on another campus, a cheque is sent to them at their home address