Last updated: 7 April
Cabrini is following all DHHS, Commonwealth and other official recommendations to respond to the current outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Cabrini is well-equipped to diagnose and manage any patients who may have an infectious disease, including coronavirus. We have stringent infection control procedures to ensure the safety of our staff, patients and visitors.
Please note that due to the coronavirus outbreak, Cabrini has postponed all non-urgent surgery. We will continue to keep our patients updated on this situation.
>> Important information for Cabrini patients [Video]
>> Self-assessment for risk of coronavirus (COVID-19)
Attention all patients
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms below:
- Fever (> 37.5˚C) or history of fever (for example night sweats, chills)
- Acute respitory infection (for example, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat)
please phone the Cabrini Malvern Emergency Department on (03) 9508 1500 before presenting in person at 183 Wattletree Road, Malvern. We ask that you remain outside and follow the instructions of staff.
The Cabrini Emergency Department will assess patients for risk of coronavirus, in line with DHHS criteria.
Information for visitors
To minimise the risk of infection transmission for our patients, staff, residents and community, Visitors are now restricted.
- Limit of one designated visitor per patient, per day, for 1 hour
- Only immediate family, next of kin and carers are permitted
- Visitors must be over 15
- Any visitors who have travelled overseas in last 14 days are not permitted
- All visitors to report to ward receptions before entering patient rooms
- Thermal temperature checks at point of entry at Malvern, Brighton and Ashwood campuses
- Maternity – partners are permitted to visit our maternity patients and babies
- End of Life Care – families and carers to be locally managed by ward staff
- Intensive care – families and carers to be locally managed by ICU staff
There is currently no visitor access for people who have:
- Been diagnosed with COVID-19 and have not discharged from isolation
- Arrived in Australia from overseas within 14 days
- Recently been in contact with a person with confirmed case of COVID-19
- A temperature of over 37.5 degrees or symptoms of an acute respiratory infection (fever, cough, sore throat, breathing difficulties or wheezing, headache)
We recommend you contact the person in hospital by their mobile phone or iPad / Tablet (eg. FaceTime) rather than visit them, if possible.
These decisions have been made in line with advice from the Department of Health and Human Services. We will continue to review information as it becomes available and keep our community updated as the situation evolves.
For more information, please refer to the Department of Health and Human Services website or contact their dedicated hotline on 1800 675 398.
We understand these restrictions may be difficult, but we are asking for your ongoing support as we work through this together.
We appreciate your support.
Couriers and Contractors
Building access information
- As part of Cabrini’s coronavirus containment strategy, we are reducing the number of entry and exit points at Cabrini Malvern
- At this point the loading docks and main entrance remain open at Malvern
- When entering please minimise any wandering through the hospital
- Call ahead if you are unsure of your destination within the facility
- Please follow the normal induction process by signing in at Engineering
- A Cabrini staff member will then take you to the designated work area
Information for maternity patients
To help minimise the risk of infection transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) to our maternity patients and their babies, Cabrini has implemented the below processes:
- maternity classes and tours have been cancelled until further notice. Refunds will be provided if you have made a purchase and these can be organised by phoning the Maternity Bookings Office on (03) 9508 1724 (Mon–Fri, 9am-3pm) or emailing email@example.com
- current maternity patients are to phone the delivery suite on (03) 9508 1261 prior to presenting to hospital for monitoring or medical treatment
- patients are to advise Cabrini staff if they, or anyone they know, has recently returned from overseas, or has the following symptoms – cold, shortness of breath, runny nose or fever
- maternity ward visitation has also been restricted and only partners will be able to visit our new mothers and babies during their stay in hospital. No children, including siblings, will be allowed to visit the maternity ward.
If you need any further information throughout your pregnancy, please phone our Maternity Bookings Office on (03) 9508 1724 (Mon–Fri, 9am-3pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cabrini would like to thank the following individuals and organisations for their generosity towards our staff, patients and residents and families – your kind gestures and compassion have been much appreciated by the Cabrini community during this challenging time: