Every day we appreciate the generous volunteers across our health service, who support us in caring for our patients, residents and their families.
Did you know?
- Cabrini Health has approximately 200 trained volunteers
- Volunteers are located at all Cabrini Health sites
- Together our volunteers contribute more than 24,400 hours of service annually
- Some of our volunteers travel from as far afield as Melbourne’s outer-eastern district, far northern suburbs and Gippsland
- We have about 40 new volunteer start each year
- Several of our at Cabrini Residential Aged Care home at Ashwood have received the prestigious Caroline Chisholm Award
Why have a volunteer program?
Importantly, our volunteer program allows us to maintain vital links with our community. Most of our volunteers live in our local communities and have directly experienced Cabrini Health’s care, either as a patient or family member.
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers are involved in a range of activities throughout Cabrini Health:
- Providing company and social interaction for patients/residents at our Ashwood, Brighton, Elsternwick, Malvern and Prahran sites
- Providing support and practical assistance for patients and families visiting our emergency department, day procedure centre, day infusion centre, outpatient rehabilitation and day of surgery admission centre
- Meeting and greeting patients/visitors and helping to guide them to their destination at our Brighton and Malvern sites
- Providing company and assistance with lifestyle activities for our aged-care residents
- Assisting clients at our Cabrini Wig Room
- Assisting palliative care patients to record their life story as a legacy for family or friends
- Providing telephone social support with a weekly phone call to our discharged older patients who live on their own.
To be eligible to volunteer with us you need to:
- Commit to a regular 4 hour shift each week for at least 12 months
- Undergo a mandatory immunisation check
- Provide two references (not family)
- Complete an interview and police check
- Be competent in use of computer for online learning
- Attend the Cabrini volunteer orientation
- Take part in 2 – 3 days of volunteer training and induction
- Comply with yearly mandatory training
- Comply with relevant Cabrini policies and procedures, including the Code of Conduct
- Be committed to our organisational values
- Genuinely want to help improve the experience of our patients and residents and their loved ones
- Be keen to support people of all ages including those who are much older or have dementia
- Be well presented
- Be kind, caring, enthusiastic, and willing
- Be between 18 and 84 years of age
Recognising our volunteers
Our volunteers are recognised at an annual ceremony where 2-15 year milestones are acknowledged and celebrated. Also, we hold an annual celebration of the contribution of our volunteers on International Volunteers’ Day in December. Volunteers who retire at 85 years keep in touch with the organisation via the Associate Friends of Cabrini.
Register your interest
For more information on volunteering at Cabrini Health, call us on (03) 9508 1084 or email email@example.com
- Cabrini complies with Victorian Child Safe Standards requiring all volunteers working with children to hold a current Working With Children Check.
- Cabrini complies with Aged Care Providers Guidelines requiring all volunteers working in Aged Care to undergo a National Police Check.