Nursing research is integral to patient care, whether that care takes place at the bedside or during surgery. It provides the evidence to improve and support nursing practice.
At Cabrini, the aim of nursing research is to constantly improve the care we provide by evaluating the safety and quality of our services and clinical practice.
The newly established Cabrini Monash University Department of Nursing Research is an exciting new development that will be promoting nursing research to support the mission of the Cabrini Institute.
One of the main aims is to build capacity of nursing research through engaging with clinicians and supporting opportunities for research training.
If you would like to contact the Cabrini Monash University Department of Nursing Research please email NursingResearch@cabrini.com.au.
Associate Professor Philip Russo
Ms Lucy Kerr
Ms Elizabeth Todio
Honours and Masters students
Cabrini Medical Staff Research Scholarship
Watch Professor Ruth Endacott, Professor of Clinical Nursing (Critical Care) at Plymouth University in the UK, Jacqui Hastings, Nurse Manager at Cabrini Health and A/Professor Philip Russo, Director of the Cabrini Monash Department of Nursing Research talk about their experiences with nursing research and provide practical tips on how to move In to research.
In this brief 20 minutes video A/Professor Philip Russo provides some general advice and tips when applying for a scholarship.
Alan Jackson Research Grant. ‘The effect of COVID-19 on healthcare associated infections in a multi-campus private health care facility.’ (2020) $49,461. Russo P (PI), Renton R (CI), Wang W (CI), Mitchell B (CI).
Alan Jackson Research Grant. ‘An exploratory study of the experiences of cancer patients and their caregivers during the COVID-19 pandemic.’ (2020) $47,211. Russo P (PI), Kerr L (CI), Ilangakoon C (CI), Richardson G (CI), Seletto K, (AI), LeHunt E (AI).
Auric Innovation Grant (Johnstone Family, via Cabrini Foundation). ‘Development of customised distraction techniques for managing acute behavioural disturbance of elderly patients in the emergency department setting to limit use of chemical and physical restraint.’ (2019) $146,993. Blecher G, Kuhn L, Walker K, Flynn D, Joe K, Russo P, Page R, Peisah C.
NHMRC Early Career Fellowship. ‘Improved Detection of Infections Following Surgery for Meaningful Public Reporting.’ (2019) $327,192.00. Russo P (PI), Cheng A, Bucknall T.
Industry Grant – Covidien. ‘Establishing the prevalence of healthcare associated infections in two large Australian private hospitals.’ (2020) $15,000. Russo P (PI), Cheng A, Stewardson A, Mitchell B.
Industry Grant – Covidien. ‘Patient perspectives of healthcare associated infection.’ (2019), $15,000. Mitchell B, Northcote M, Rickett C, Russo P.
NHMRC Ideas Grant. ‘A new approach to disinvestment: Application to falls prevention mobilisation alarms.’ (2020) $1.1M. CIs: Haines T, Shorr B, Botti M, Brusco N, O’Brien E, Redley B, Bowles KA. AIs: Hutchinson A, Mitchell D, Jellete J, Steen K, Boyd L, Russo P, Webb M, Raymond M, Hunter P.
1. Russo PL, Digby R, Bucknall T. (2019) Consumer knowledge and attitudes towards public reporting of healthcare associated infection data. Am J Infect Control. 47(6):656-660. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2018.11.018
2. Mitchell BG, Northcote N, Cheng AC, Fasugba O, Russo PL, Rosebrock H. (2019) Reducing urinary catheter use using an electronic reminder system in hospitalised patients: a randomised stepped wedge trial. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 40(4):427-431. doi:10.1017/ice.2019.31
3. Mitchell BG, Russo PL, Cheng AC, Stewardson AJ, Rosebrock H, Curtis S, Robinson S, Kiernan M. (2019) Strategies to reduce non-ventilator-associated hospital-acquired pneumonia: a systematic review. Infection Disease and Health. 24(4):229-239. doi: 10.1016/j.idh.2019.06.002
4. Mitchell BG, Shaban RZ, Macbeth D, Russo PL. (2019) Organisation and governance of infection prevention and control in Australian residential aged care facilities: a national survey. Infection Disease and Health. 24(4):187-193. doi: 10.1016/j.idh.2019.06.004
5. Russo PL, Stewardson AJ, Cheng AC, Bucknall T, Mitchell BG. (2019) The prevalence of healthcare associated infections among adult inpatients at nineteen large Australian acute-care public hospitals: a point prevalence survey. Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control. 8(1):1-8. doi: 10.1186/s13756-019-0570-y
6. Russo PL. (2019) Bundles of bundles. Infection, Disease & Health. 24(3):113-114. doi: 10.1016/j.idh.2019.06.001
7. Mitchell BG, Fasugba O, Russo PL. (2020) Where is the strength of evidence? a review of infection prevention and control guidelines. J Hosp Infect. 105(2):242-251. doi: 10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.008.
8. Shaban RZ, Sotomayor-Castillo C, Nahidi S, Li C, Macbeth D, Mitchell BG, Russo PL. (2020) Global burden, point-sources and outbreak management of healthcare-associated Burkholderia cepacia infections: an integrative review. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 41(7):777-783 doi: 10.1017/ice.2020.184. Online ahead of print.
9. Nayna Schwerdtle P, Connell CJ, Lee S, Plummer V, Russo PL, Endacott R, Kuhn, L. (2020) Nurse expertise: a critical resource in the COVID-19 pandemic response. Annals of Global Health. 86(1):1-5. doi: 10.5334/aogh.2898
10. Russo PL, Stewardson AJ, Cheng AC, Bucknall T, Mitchell BG. (2020) Prevalence of device use and transmission based precautions in nineteen large Australian acute care public hospitals: secondary outcomes from a national healthcare associated infection point prevalence survey. Infection Disease and Health. doi: 10.1016/j.idh.2020.05.006. Online ahead of print.
11. Loftus MJ Curtis SJ, Naidu R, Cheng AC, Jenney A, Mitchell BG, Russo PL, Rafai E, Peleg AY, Stewardson AJ. Prevalence of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use among inpatients in a tertiary hospital in Fiji: a point prevalence survey Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control. 2020;9(1)
12. Gordon LG, Elliott TM, Forde B, Mitchell BG, Russo PL, Paterson DL, Harris PNA. Cost savings from routine use of whole-genomic sequencing of six multidrug resistant bacterial pathogens in Queensland, Australia. BMJ Open (accepted November 2020)
13. Van Huezen P, Connell C, Russo PL, Kuhn L. The nurses' role in antimicrobial stewardship: A scoping review. Int J Nurs Stud. 2020:103772.