We are an active member of the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society (ANZICS) research community, and collaborate closely with the ANZICS Clinical Trials Group. Notable collaborative research (and associated publications):
INternational observational study To Understand the impact and BEst practices of airway management in critically ill patients – INTUBE study
A/Prof David Brewster was the National Lead for Australia and New Zealand
Russotto V, Myatra SN, Laffey JG, Tassistro E, Antolini L, Bauer P, Lascarrou JB, Szuldrzynski K, Camporota L, Pelosi P, Sorbello M, Higgs A, Greif R, Putensen C, Agvald-Öhman C, Chalkias A, Bokums K, Brewster D, Rossi E, Fumagalli R, Pesenti A, Foti G, Bellani G; INTUBE Study Investigators. (2021) Intubation practices and adverse peri-intubation events in critically ill patients from 29 countries. JAMA. 325(12):1164-1172. doi: 10.1001/jama.2021.1727.
Restrictive or Liberal Red-Cell Transfusion for Cardiac Surgery trial – TRICSIII trial
- Mazer CD, Whitlock RP, Fergusson DA, Hall J, Belley-Cote E, Connolly K, Khanykin B, Gregory AJ, de Médicis É, McGuinness S, Royse A, Carrier FM, Young PJ, Villar JC, Grocott HP, Seeberger MD, Fremes S, Lellouche F, Syed S, Byrne K, Bagshaw SM, Hwang NC, Mehta C, Painter TW, Royse C, Verma S, Hare GMT, Cohen A, Thorpe KE, Jüni P, Shehata N; TRICS Investigators and Perioperative Anesthesia Clinical Trials Group. (2017) Restrictive or Liberal Red-Cell Transfusion for Cardiac Surgery. N Engl J Med 377(22):2133-2144. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1711818.
- Mazer CD, Whitlock RP, Fergusson DA, Belley-Cote E, Connolly K, Khanykin B, Gregory AJ, de Médicis É, Carrier FM, McGuinness S, Young PJ, Byrne K, Villar JC, Royse A, Grocott HP, Seeberger MD, Mehta C, Lellouche F, Hare GMT, Painter TW, Fremes S, Syed S, Bagshaw SM, Hwang NC, Royse C, Hall J, Dai D, Mistry N, Thorpe K, Verma S, Jüni P, Shehata N; TRICS Investigators and Perioperative Anesthesia Clinical Trials Group. (2018) Six-Month Outcomes after Restrictive or Liberal Transfusion for Cardiac Surgery. N Engl J Med 379(13):1224-1233. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1808561.
Australia and New Zealand Cardiac Arrest Outcome Determinants and ECMO suitability study – (ANZ CODE) trial
- Jones D et al. (ANZ-CODE investigators). (2019) The epidemiology of in-hospital cardiac arrests in Australia: A prospective multicentre observational study. Crit Care and resusc. 21(3) 180-187.
- Pound GM, Jones D, Eastwood GM, Paul E, Hodgson CL; Australia and New Zealand Cardiac Arrest Outcome and Determinants of ECMO (ANZ-CODE) Investigators. (2022) Long-Term Functional Outcome and Quality of Life Following In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest-A Longitudinal Cohort Study. Crit Care Med. 50(1):61-71. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000005118.
ANZICS CTG research collaboration with Monash University to establish a database of COVID-19 pandemic ICU patients – SPRINT SARI trial
Burrell AJC, Pellegrini B, Salimi F, et al. (2020) Outcomes of COVID-19 Patients Admitted to Australian Intensive Care Units during the Early Phase of the Pandemic. Med J Aust. 214(1):23-30. doi: 10.5694/mja2.50883.
International database of COVID intubations to look at HCW infection transmission – IntubateCOVID
- El‐Boghdadly K, Wong DJN, Owen R, et al. (2020) Risks to healthcare workers following tracheal intubation of patients with COVID‐19: a prospective international multicentre cohort study. Anaesthesia. 75:1437– 47. doi: 10.1111/anae.15170.
- Wong DJN, El‐Boghdadly K Owen R, et al. (2021) Emergency airway management and complications of tracheal intubation in patients with COVID-19: a prospective international multicentre cohort study. Anesthesiology. 135(2):292-303. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0000000000003791.
ANZICS CTG research collaboration with Monash University to establish a database of COVID-19 pandemic ICU patients – COVID Recovery (2020)
The Intensive Care Unit Randomized Trial Comparing Two approaches to Oxygen Therapy: Translating Research into Practice Study – ICU ROX TRIPS (2017/18)