The Cabrini Research Governance Office (CRGO) is responsible for ensuring that:
- ethically sound research is promoted and conducted at Cabrini;
- the research affirms the mission and values of Cabrini and teachings of the Catholic Church; and
- ethical standards are maintained in research projects to protect the interests of the research participants, the investigator and the institution.
Cabrini abides by the following research directives:
- The National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research issued by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) in 2007 and subsequent updates;
- other relevant Commonwealth and State legislation; and
- Catholic Health Australia’s Code of Ethical Standards for Catholic Health and Aged Care Services in Australia (2001).
Cabrini's former Human Research Ethics Committee (CHREC) closed on 31 December 2019. The Cabrini Research Governance Office was introduced in 2020, offering review of low or negligible risk projects, and site governance for single or multi-site projects with a moderate to high level of risk. Human Research Ethics Committee Review of moderate to high risk studies can be sought via Monash Partners HRECs through Monash Health HREC and Alfred Health HREC. To enable concurrent governance review, please send your application (which can include an HREA and VSM) and supporting documentation to email@example.com.
The level of risk of your proposed research will determine which path is required to seek approval to conduct your study at Cabrini. Ethics and governance approval must be secured before any research can commence. Please review the CRGO Handbook, below, for next steps.
If you need to complete your GCP or refresh you GCP certificate, please refer to Monash Partners - GCP Arrangements for 2020.
We continue to work on refining our low risk and governance processes to enable good user experience and facilitative research start up. Your feedback is important to us. Please let us have your comments via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CRGO Handbook will provide you with all the necessary information to complete a low risk or governance submission.
- Attachment 1 - Full Review Application Form- No longer required at Cabrini.
- Attachment 2 - Low Risk & Governance Review Application Form - To determine whether this form is appropriate for your application, first complete Attachment 4 Level of Risk Checklist. If you have obtained external HREC approval and require site governance at Cabrini, you may submit an HREA and VSM alongside Attachment 2.
- Attachment 4 - Level of Risk Checklist - This checklist is designed to aid researchers in determining the level of risk of their projects. Applicable to low-risk, negligible risk and quality assurance projects.
- Attachment 5 - Confidentiality Agreement - No longer in use. External researchers must now obtain an honorary appointment if access to Cabrini data is required. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Attachment 6 - Progress Report - As per terms of approval of projects, all researchers are required to submit periodic progress reports. This form can be used for the annual report and the final report, required when a project is completed.